Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The joys and challenges of teaching

I love it when I have moments when kids really "get it." I was doing this rhythm piece with hand drums and bongos and clapping and then they all stop and one kid gets to improvise solo on the conga. My one 4th grade class was totally getting it today. (well after I had to switch Donny and Zach to the hardest group--they put themselves in the easiest part... and then tried to whine when I switched them... wrong-o.) they actually had kids to lead each group, and were taking turns on the conga, all did fine, until Donny gets up there and goes to town and does probably a 2 minute conga solo that was pretty amazingly intricate, especially for a 4th grader. the rest of the class has these dumbstruck looks on their faces, and then when it is the next person's turn they totally get the "ok, we've got to step it up..." attitude. SO MUCH FUN. so we started some more drum circle stuff with them, cause they can totally do it. They are one of my classes that was totally into the Jewish folk songs and dances last week, I have been having so much fun with them, and I have yet to throw any activity that Donny and Zach don't ace at them, it is a little tricky to find a balance of something that pushes those two, keeps Tyler, Austin, and Joe moving continually or they get out of control, is not to fast paced for Ricky or he gets lost, continually has some special part for Nikki to lead or she cops an attitude, and Jaron and Malik with special medical conditions can physically do...

But I am finally starting to see the students who totally excel, the ones who fail are always evident, but there are definitely students rising above...

I also cleaned the kitchen and rode 5.5 miles on the bike before tired legs and rain turned us home today. now I am tired, time for a little american idol and dancing with the stars and heading to bed so i maybe actually wake up for bible study this week.

No comments: