Saturday, April 28, 2007

book

I started reading a book last night. As of now, I haven't determined (I'm only on page 47 and the first 20 pages were located in imaginiary-Circle, MT) whether it is set in fake-Baker or fake-Broadus. Or a combination of the two. Size wise the town is Baker. But if you take the Highway she says you are in Broadus. It is amusing. My favorite part so far was that in a town of 1800 (approximate Baker-size) this guy somehow won the state triple A football championship. There is NO triple A school ANYWHERE in the state of Montana, let alone in a town of 1800 (all but 500 or so of the citizens of the town would have to be in high school, and while it sometimes feels like that in eastern montana where the most important thing is high school football, there are actually adults and younger children too.) I also appreciate that she can see the Mission Mountains in the distance as she is driving EAST from Billings. Which surprises me, as I am fairly certain those were the mountains we drove by heading NORTH from MISSOULA towards Flathead (but I could be slightly off... My geography isn't amazing) I just don't remember seeing a whole lot of mountains in general in my skyline when headed east from Billings. Possibly in the rearview mirror. But not even a whole lot there. Alissa says I should stop reading it because it will drive me nuts. I am having to much amusement though. And it makes me think of all of the other books I have read and how much I am sure I don't notice about details that are off because I didn't live where they were set. Write a book in Florida, I will have no clue that you are discribing in great detail things that aren't actually possible.

2 comments:

Not Lucy said...

I read a book once that was set in Seattle and it talked about the two hour ferry ride to somewhere else on Puget Sound (can't remember exactly where) and I don't think there are any ferry rides longer than one hour unless you forget to get off (or someone else gets off without their car).

Anonymous said...

Or even the book about Starvation Heights that the author has the fire truck heading the wrong direction to get to Starvation Heights. Yep it's fun when they don't have it right. You are right no mountains in any direction from Billings! MOM