Wednesday, February 28, 2007

things I don't understand

One of the teachers at school found out for sure she was pregnant on Monday. Exciting news. She had some suspicions for about a month and finally went to the Dr. Monday, figuring she was probably about two months along. Doctor says no. I don't think so, more like 5. so she has an ultrasound Tuesday, yes, it's a boy, and the due date is May 2. How can you be 7 months pregnant and just find out? I have had my suspicions for quite a while, but really, not the thing to bring up if you aren't sure, I don't want to get into the whole, hey, you are looking really fat in the middle, are you pregnant? conversation if someone really isn't...

Also I started my before school math group last week. Oh, wow. we were doing fractions today. So, the totally could answer the problems. that picture is 1/2. that one is 1/3. on and on with stuff looking at numbers and following rules in the book. Then I brought out lucky charms for a little test. I said, ok you can eat a handful of lucky charms if you show your handful to me first and it is 1/2 marshmallows. Could not do it. Really, is there any way to learn fractions not involving food? so we figured out 1/2 marshmellow handfuls together. but no, that didn't mean they could make 1/3 marshmellow handfuls. Did I mention these are 6th graders? 6th graders!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I know college students that don't have the times tables memorized...