Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I am a rhyme torturer

So, I have this student. He is oppositional defiant (for those of you unfamiliar with ODD... it is torture for everyone involved...) I can make him do almost anything, because I am just that good at the passive aggressive game, don't take me on, I can out-passive you. But... my little friend does have his explosions if he thinks you are telling what to do or controlling him or he just feels like it... he bit the principal the other day.

Today we had the most bizarre music time. First he almost had a melt down because he didn't like the rhyme scheme of the poem we were doing. Evidently, poems should rhyme every line or not at all. Every other line is just cruel torture that who would ever think I would subject on children.

Then he noticed that the elephant bookshelf had the tail broken off. I managed to convince him it was going to be ok, as I think the tail was last when I was younger than he is and distract him by not making eye contact and get the class in a circle for a game with him facing away from the thing.

Do we think there is more than ODD going on inside his head? Oh, yeah, what is it? I don't know... Someone suggested a little bipolar, but I don't think that fits, I think it seems like a combo of OCD, ODD, and being royally screwed up by his parents. But then, I am not a psychologist, so who knows... I feel sorry for the kid

No comments: