Saturday, February 10, 2007

a little venting

Yesterday evening I had quite the "cultural" experience... I went to the play the drama club had been putting together in my room for the last 4 months... Have to see what I have been working around, right? They were actually pretty good. cute play, main characters were clothespins, and then bugs and butterflies and birds, etc... My favorite was the snail. He was pretty cute with his giant sleeping bag that was all spray painted to look just like a snail shell on his back. and a trail of "slime"-silver gauzy fabric trailing behind him... Is it sad that my "cultural experience" is 4-6th graders in a play dressed as bugs? maybe... maybe... even sadder is that I was at home before nine and Alissa kicked me off the couch and made me go sleep in my bed before 10. Katherine would say "young girls shouldn't be going to bed on a weekend before midnight" and sleep on the couch until 12:01 when she can go in and sleep in her bed.

This is just one of the many "young girls" rules she seems to live by... None of them make much sense... Young girls should sleep in and be tired when they get up in the morning whether or not they ACTUALLY want to or are... Young girls should be spontaneous and shouldn't plan anything in advance... Young girls should lust after every reasonably attractive boy who crosses their path even if you know he is a big jerk... Young girls shouldn't cook until they get married... Young girls should eat salad for every meal... Young girls need to work out so they can get married (if you are "fat," you can't get married)... Young girls should be blonde... The point of young girls' lives is to find a man... Young girls shouldn't be responsible for anyone or anything other than themselves (and barely that at times)... Young girls shouldn't get a job at which they can support themselves at or enjoy, because you are going to have to give it up when you get married anyway and really... aren't we all just filling the time until we get married and our lives start? Young girls... drives me nuts.

There... I am done venting. Makes me angry though. She has limited her own life (and tries to tell others to limit theirs) by what she feels "young girls" should do. Be yourself. If you are sleepy, go to bed, if you are awake, get up, who cares if you go to bed early or late or not at all. If a guy won't marry me because I have a job I enjoy, can cook, enjoy food other than salad, care about people other than myself, or have interests other than what I look like, I don't think I WANT to be married to him. Crazy? I don't think so. but maybe I am the one with the warped sense of values here?

No comments: